Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Redemption of Work



There is nothing more terrible than activity without insight. “For many people, these words of Thomas Carlyle describe the miserable state of their daily work. For those of us who resonate with Carlyle’s words, a 17th century monk known as Brother Lawrence has much to teach us.

Nicholas Herman was born in 1611 in Lorraine, France. He described himself as a “great awkward fellow who broke everything.” After an unsuccessful career as a foot soldier and a brief stint as a hermit, Herman joined the Carmelite monastery as a lay member. He was given the name Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection and became a full member of the order in 1642.

From the beginning Brother Lawrence was assigned kitchen duty, a job that no one wanted. For 40 years his daily routine remained the same: rising early to slice vegetables; cooking soup and pouring wine; scrubbing pots and pans after each meal. For the first 10 years of his work Brother Lawrence struggled. Then one day, quite unexpectedly he experienced a change. “I suddenly found myself changed,” he wrote, “and my soul, which up till then was always disturbed, experienced a profound interior peace.”

What changed was that Brother Lawrence had begun to do his work, “as working for the Lord” Colossians 3:23, or as he put it famously, to “practice the presence of God.” The dishes were still dirty the kitchen still loud and frantic, yet he maintained an inner communication with God that made his work bearable, even joyful. “The time of business does not with me differ from the time or prayer, and in the noise and clatter of my kitchen while several persons are at the same time calling me for different things, I possess God in a great tranquility as if I were upon my knees at the Blessed Sacrament.” Lawrence enjoyed the practice of God’s presence so much that at times he had to keep himself from laughing out loud in front of others.

Brother Lawrence’s simple message of bringing insight to activity through continuous prayer – practicing the presence of God – has helped to redeem the daily work of many who feel they labor at thankless tasks. “So think of God all the time – during the day, at night, in your daily work, even in your leisure time activities. He is always nearby. Don’t ignore him. If you had a friend nearby, you would not ignore him when he came to visit. Why then would you neglect God? In short, don’t forget him. Think of him often. Adore him continually. Live and die with him. As a Christian this is our job and our calling. This is what we are here for. It is glorious!

My prayer: Father, forgive me for complaining. The lowliest work done in your name is more than I deserve. Give me a renewed spirit of gratitude and a sense of your presence to sustain me in my duties.

Hebrews 13:5 – “Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you

Hosanna – Song Lyrics

I see the King of Glory
Coming on the clouds with fire
The whole earth shakes (2x)
I see His love and mercy
Washing over all our sins
The people sing (2x)
Hosanna, Hosanna
Hosanna in the Highest (x2)
I see a generation
Rising up to take their place
With selfless faith
With selfless faith
I see a near revival
Stirring as we pray and seek
We're on our knees (2x)
Hosanna, Hosanna
Hosanna in the Highest (x2)
Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes
To the things unseen
Show me how to love
Like You have loved me
Break my heart for what breaks yours
Everything I am
For your kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity
Hosanna, Hosanna
Hosanna in the Highest

No comments:

Post a Comment