Friday, December 11, 2009

A Christmas Wish

Message for Saturday, December 12, 2009

I want to tell you a story about a boy named Tiglath. Now, Tiglath said to his friends at school, "I know what Christmas is about." "That's nothing," said one of his friends. "Everybody knows that." "No," said Tiglath. "I know what Christmas is really about. My Sunday School teacher told me. It's about Jesus coming." "No it's not," said another friend. "It's about Santa Claus coming." "You don't know," said Tiglath. "I know nobody sings, 'Here comes Jesus. Here comes Jesus...'" said the friend. Then everyone started laughing and shoving and the bell rang to go back in from the playground.

That night when Tiglath and his father were getting ready to say prayers, Tiglath asked, "Is Christmas about Santa Claus coming or about Jesus coming?" "Where did you get that question?" asked his father. "My Sunday School teacher said it was about Jesus, but the kids at school say it's about Santa Claus," said Tiglath. "Oh, I see," said his father. "Do you remember when your brother was born?" "Yes," said Tiglath. "Do you remember Grandma and Grandpa coming to see the new baby?" "Yes." "Do you remember that they brought you a present when they came?" "Yes," said Tiglath. "It was a remote control car." "So, what was that day about? Was it about your baby brother or about your new toy? Which is more important, your brother or the toy?" Tiglath had to think about that.
"Well, which one changed your life more, your bother or the toy?" "My brother," said Tiglath. "Exactly. So, if we say Christmas is about Jesus coming, we're talking about the baby Jesus being born. If we say Christmas is about Santa Claus coming, we're talking about getting toys. Which do you think is more important?" "Jesus coming is more important," said Tiglath.

And they said a prayer like this: “Dear God, we thank you for toys at Christmas, but most of all we thank you for the baby Jesus. Amen.”


These are some of the responses I received when I asked some of my dearest friends “if they could have anything this year, what would they want for Christmas?”

What Christmas means to me? Christmas to me is a time for friends and family to come together and celebrate the birth and life of Christ. It is a time for all to love and care for one another.
What would I like for Christmas if I could have it? I would like my sister back. If not forever at least for the day of Christmas.

Folsom, LA

WOW! If I could have ANYTHING in the WHOLE wide world for Christmas, (this I don’t even have to think about, My answer is very quick). It would be to have ALL three of my children running after God with all their hearts AND operating in whatever the call is that God has for their lives. I wish so deeply that I could impress upon them (NOW, at this age) that there is NOTHING and NO PLACE like knowing that we are RIGHT in the CENTER of Gods will; doing EXACTLY what He would have us do! God is SO awesome, He is SO precious, and I am SO very thankful that He chose me, but also that I asked Him to come into my life and that I am able to know Him so intimately. So this, would be my one wish for Christmas. To know the ones I love most………could have that same experience.

Concord, NC


Wow....not as easy as I might have thought now that I am being called upon to answer those questions.

Christmas has always meant a time for joy, togetherness, family, sharing, and remembering the reason we celebrate the season......the birth of Our Lord, Jesus Christ. It is always easy for younger people to forget the real reason for Christmas, as one can get caught up in the "what do I get" atmosphere of gift giving and receiving. But, as time passes and we realize the experiences of life and what is truly important, we learn that it is not what we get or give, but it is what we celebrate.

This time around, I too fall into that category of financial stress that touches my whole family. I think that in times like this, it is even more important to remember Jesus and ask him to for his blessings for my family. It is a test of character and an opportunity to share with family that we must work and pray together to get thru the difficult times.

My wish this Christmas is that Jesus will show all of us the way, give us direction, and bless all of us and our families with a little good fortune, so that we are able to find our way back to the joy and togetherness of family....so that we will reach out to others in need and offer assistance and encouragement....so that we stand with conviction to keep Christ in our schools and communities, and be able to yell out "Merry Christmas" and hear others yell it back to us. My wish if for Christmas to be the way is used to be.

Baton Rouge, LA


Jesus came to give, He was gift that keeps on giving and we are to imitate Him and be blessed to keep on blessing...amen...

Kenner, LA

My Prayer: Heavenly Father God Almighty please send Your Holy Spirit into the hearts of each person that reads this message so that they will be able to feel your love, mercy, kindness, and presence this Christmas season. May each and every one of us rejoice in the celebration of Jesus' birth this Christmas day. In this I pray in Your name Jesus, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment