Thursday, July 29, 2010

Forgive as You Have Been Forgiven



This picture is of my little kitten Pellinore praying with me for those who read this blog.

It is possible to pray and still be far from God. When Cain brought his offering to God, he was full of anger and hate. His heart was revealed by his actions toward his brother Abel when Abel’s offering was accepted and Cain’s was refused. (Gen 4:1-8)

The Pharisee praying along side the tax collector was also far from God, though he imagined himself to be standing in God’s presence. (Luke 18:9-14) These two examples from Scripture indicate that there’s a direct connection between our relationship to others and our relationship to God. If things aren’t right between us and others, we can be sure they aren’t right between us and God.

This powerful principle is especially true in the area of forgiveness. Jesus is alarmingly blunt. If you forgive others, God will forgive you. If you refuse others forgiveness, God will refuse you forgiveness. There is a profound logic here. It goes like this: Question: What do we most need from God? Answer: His mercy. Question: How can we expect to receive what we most need from God if we refuse others the thing they most need from us?

What are we saying to God when we refuse to forgive others? Do we think their sin against us is so bad that it is beyond mercy? Or worse, do we think the sin God forgave us wasn’t really so bad after all or that we in some way deserved his forgiveness? Either way, the cross is emptied of its power, God’s mercy is trivialized and we make ourselves little gods.

To forgive requires humility and to be forgiven is very humiliating. Jon Newton the author of the hymn “Amazing Grace” was a slave trader and libertine before his conversion. He never forgot what is meant to God to forgive him, and what that forgiveness meant in his attitude toward others. He wrote, “A man, truly illuminated, will no more despise others, than Bartimaeus, after his own eyes were opened, would take a stick and beat every blind man he met.”

My Prayer: As we pray, may we remember to forgive those who have sinned against us if need be, and ask God to forgive our lack of forgiveness. In Jesus name I pray this day, Amen.

Song Lyrics – Amazing Grace
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.
T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.
The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.
Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.
When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment