Monday, July 12, 2010

God Is A Person



God is a person. When we pray, we aren’t speaking into the air. We aren’t just talking or thinking to ourselves. We aren’t just connecting sentences that sound good together. We are talking to a real live Person who is listening intently to every word we are saying. This Person is God Almighty, our Creator. He can be anywhere and everywhere. He knows everything about us. He knows what is happening in the world each and every moment. God is awesome. He deserves our sincerity and our full attention.

God is a Spirit, but he is also a Person who wants us to relate to him. To help us he uses language that we can understand. This is why the Bible is full of passages that refer to him with ears, eyes, hands, arms, feet, a face, a back, some nostrils, a mouth, etc.

God describes himself
Isaiah 48:13 – My own hand laid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand spread out the heavens.

Isaiah 60:13 – The glory of Lebanon will come to you, the pine, the fir and the cypress together to adorn the place of my sanctuary, and I will glorify the place of my feet.

Exodus 33:21-23 – Then the Lord said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back, but my face must not be seen.

God knows that mankind has very limited ability to comprehend him, so he refers to human characteristics in order to give us a picture we can understand – so that we can relate to him better and visualize him in a way that is familiar to us. You may try using some of these descriptions about God when you pray.

If you need help, ask God to stretch out his mighty arm to rescue you. If you want to ask him something important, ask him to open his ears to hear your request. If you need him to give attention to a certain matter, ask him to turn his eyes upon you – to fix his grace upon your situation.

Remember that the more you get to know God, the more you will love to talk with him.

God has given us a wonderful gift of imagination. Don’t be afraid to use it when you pray. Let the graphic description of the glorified Christ given in Revelation 1:12-16 inspire your imagination as you pray and worship him. You will see that John described God’s feet, chest, head and hair, eyes, voice, right hand, mouth and face.

“I turned around to see who was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands was someone “like a son of man, “dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance. Revelation 1:12-16

No comments:

Post a Comment