Wednesday, July 14, 2010

God Has A Personality





God Has a Personality

God has given us many detailed descriptions of His “personality”. His nature and His character are described throughout the His word.









Exodus 34:5-7
The Lord came down in a cloud and stood there with (Moses) and proclaimed his name, the Lord. And he passed in front of Moses proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin.”

The Bible also gives us other images.

Proverbs 18:10
The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and are safe.

Psalm 25:1-3
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, and He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.

Revelation 5:5
One of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! See the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed.”

When we feel frightened, we need to picture God as a strong fortress. He wants us to run to Him and hide. When we need comfort, we need to picture Him as a compassionate Shepherd holding us tenderly as one of His precious little lambs. When we need protection from evil, we need to think of Him as the mighty Lion of Judah roaring at our adversary.

As we grow closer to a friend the more we spend time with them, prayer will help us grow closer to God!

God wants us to know Him for who He really is. He has feelings and desires and emotions and opinions. He has many wonderful characteristics. We can never know everything about God – no one can – but there are many things we can tell about Him from His word.

“Strong Tower”
by Kutless

When I wander through the desert
And I'm longing for my home
All my dreams have gone astray
When I'm stranded in the valley
And I'm tired and all alone
It seems like I've lost my way

I go running to your mountain
Where your mercy sets me free

[chorus]
You are my strong tower
Shelter over me
Beautiful and mighty
Everlasting King
You are my strong tower
Fortress when I'm weak
Your name is true and holy
And Your face is all I seek

In the middle of my darkness
In the midst of all my fear
You're my refuge and my hope
When the storm of life is raging
And the thunder's all I hear
You speak softly to my soul

No comments:

Post a Comment