Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fexibiliti-Tea



Flexibili-Tea

Flexibility: capable of being; pliable, responsive to change; easily yielding.

As an aspiring ballerina stretching her limbs and bending her spine backwards in graceful movements is normal for my daughter Julie. As she fluidly moves in flowing motion, the pulling and stretching of her muscles and tendons always leaves her restored and refreshed.

When did I loose my flexibility? What happened to the strength and energy I once processed? As I am stepping into my senior years, I sometimes dread climbing a flight of stairs or bending down to pull an unwanted weed.

In my younger years I would have never imagined struggling to complete such simple tasks as getting in and out of my car. Do I possess the fluid movements and gentle gracefulness as my daughter? To what extent has life’s stresses and struggles contributed to the decreased nimbleness of my aging body?

Flexibility involves more than physical movements. It encompasses responses and attitudes. We all know people whose rigidity shattered relationships and made true, self sacrificing love impossible. We all know such people, because we have all been such people. We have all often times refused to bend in submission to God’s purposes for us. Our self-centeredness has made us stiff and inflexible in our relationships with our Lord, and with other people.

When Julie danced, choreographers taught her the importance of proper “centering”. They helped her feel her “center” – in her torso, just below her breastbone. Her motions and positions were to come from there.

We, who know Jesus Christ personally, who trust him as our Savior, acknowledge his rightful central place in our hearts. He sings over us. He sings to our hearts the love song of forgiveness that makes it possible for us to follow our Savior in the dance of life. He fills our hearts with the melodies of fresh challenges, and new goals. He leads us onto the dance floor of life to partner with the most grace-full partner of all, Jesus Christ. We find our “true center” in him, and that brings the freedom and flexibility of love into our lives of service.

Acts: 17:28
“For in him we live and move and have our being.”

My prayer: Dear Father, God Almighty, helps us to be less rigid so that we can be more flexible to be in submission to You for the purposes You have for us. In Jesus’ name I pray this day, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment