Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sensitivi-Tea



Sensitivi-Tea

Sensitivity: the quality of being sensitive; attentiveness to the needs of others; the capacity for being easily hurt.

In the 1970s everyone considered sensitivity a highly desirable trait, especially in a man. It was all the rage. Magazine articles celebrated it. Movies and television programs began to depict a softer side of their male characters.

I have always admired strong, sensitive men. As a young girl I daydreamed hours about finding and marrying the ideal man for me. I prayed that God would send him my way. That man is my husband Jerry who is kind, gentle and caring, yet strong enough to lean on.

Although my son is a man, I am proud to say seeing my example and growing up in this kind of environment he has inherited my sensitivity, the kindness I show to others and the compassion I have for them deep within my heart. He too has a ministry heart and a generous spirit. But although sometimes people take advantage of his good nature, he is no pushover.

Sensitive to the concerns of others around him, Jesus cared for their physical needs, emotional needs, and spiritual needs. He fed, healed and loved the hungry, blind, sick, and enslaved.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4
“Praise be to God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.”

Paul describes the process of growth in compassion, in sensitivity to the needs and emotions of others. As God comforts us, he equips us to comfort others. But this process carries with it significant risks. Every time we choose to care the way Christ cared, to love the way Christ loved, we make it possible for others to hurt us.

So, knowing this, why would anyone take that risk? Because, as God’s redeemed children, we have experienced our Savior’s sensitive care in our own lives. We know the completion of feeling his forgiveness, his peace, and the joy he gives. We want other to know these things too. As we share them, we know that disappointments, troubles, and sorrows may come our way, but along with them will come our Lord’s comfort. Comforted in our Savior’s arms, we can comfort others when trouble comes to them.

My prayer: Help us Lord Jesus to be more compassionate and sensitive towards others so that we can see you when we look at them. Help us to give of ourselves to others even in times when we don’t want to. Help us to love others with your love which is a love that is everlasting and not a love that fades away when we get our feelings hurt, or when things don’t go our way. In Jesus’ name I pray this day, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment