Monday, November 9, 2009

The Gift Of Forgiveness



While my children were growing up I often told them that the two best gifts that I could give them were my love and my prayers. I have found over the years though that there is a third very important gift and that is the gift of forgiveness. If we truly love – we are to do so unconditionally – that means without condition. Often as humans we forget about the gift of forgiveness and hang onto hurts in our lives. Sadly by holding onto these feelings by doing so we rob the other person and ourselves of the vital gift of bringing restoration and life to our lives.

I know I have said it a thousand times or more, “but they hurt me and it is hard to forgive them”, or even, “I can’t forgive myself for allowing such things to happen in my life.” Although we have asked for forgiveness, we have even lived with the guilt of having someone not forgive us. Well we have three choices and they are that we can either choose to live with the consequences of un-forgiveness for the rest of life, choose to ask for forgiveness, forgive, and let go and allow God to intervene in our lives. You can be assured that I have learned this the hard way. I have especially lived with the fact of my actions of hurting others and their not wanting to forgive me. That’s not what it is all about. What it is about though is our relationship with the Lord. In order to have closeness with Him we must practice the valuable gift of forgiving others as well as forgiving ourself. We must also go to Him as our Heavenly Father and ask for His forgiveness. All the pressure, anxiety and hurts will go away as we begin to apply this rule to our life and trust God with the faith that He knows what is best for the situation.

God’s word teaches us that we must turn the other cheek. Although the hurts in our life are sometimes of the extreme in order to get restoration for ourselves and others we must learn to let go of them, forgive and go on with our life.

Matthew 5:39 (New International Version)
39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Wow! What a powerful command. But God, you mean I have to literally turn the other cheek? But God, this hurts me!

Matthew 6:13-15 (New International Version)

13And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.' 14For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

These verses are so meaningful to me today. My, I have learned them the hard way. I could have had a more peaceful life as well as saved myself and others allot of heart ache by applying them to my life over the years.
Christmas season is a time to praise God for Jesus’ birth. Jesus gave us the gift of His life on the cross so that we as believers can live with Him in eternity.

Song Lyrics by Michael W. Smith – The Heart of Worship

When the music fades
All is stripped away
And I simply come
Longing just to bring
Something that's of worth
That will bless Your heart
I'll bring You more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear
You're looking into my heart
I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about You,
It's all about You, Jesus
I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it
When it's all about You,
It's all about You, Jesus
King of endless worth
No one could express
How much You deserve
Though I'm weak and poor
All I have is Yours
Every single breath
I'll bring You more than a song
For a song in itself
Is not what You have required
You search much deeper within
Through the way things appear
You're looking into my heart
I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about You,
It's all about You, Jesus
I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it
And it's all about You,
It's all about You, Jesus
I'm coming back to the heart of worship,
And it's all about You,
It's all about You, Jesus
I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it
And it's all about You,
It's all about You, Jesus

My prayer: Heavenly Father, God Almighty, as an intercessor for others I come to you and ask Father, God that You please forgive me as well as them for the times that we were arrogant, stubborn, or disobedient to You, Father, God as well as for not forgiving ourselves or others. I ask Lord that You teach us these principles so that we can apply them to our life, and that during this Thanksgiving and Christmas Season instead of focusing on material things, by being depressed, desponded or weary, that we focus on You dear Lord and allow Your light to shine through us with our gifts of love, prayer and forgiveness towards others. We offer our praises to You dear God, and all glory and honor is Yours today and always, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment