Sunday, November 8, 2009

I Things Versus God Things



1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (New American Standard Bible)
16) Rejoice always;
1 7 pray without ceasing;
18in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

God’s word says to “Give Thanks In Everything.” Wow! What a statement, but is this an attainable request?

Wouldn’t the world be much nicer if we were to count our blessings – “God things”, instead of counting “I things?” Humans sometimes get all caught up in what we think are bad things in our life instead of looking at all of the wonderful blessings that God’s mercy sheds upon us on a daily basis. I could choose to sit here a write what I perceive to be as misfortunes in my life. However on the other hand I could tell about the glorious blessings in my life. I can breathe, I can hear, I woke up this morning and was able to live another day, I have two wonderful children, a magnificent son—in-law, a beautiful young lady who will one day be my daughter in law, and a fantastic husband. I have a mother, father and sister who love me dearly. Those are all “I” haves, but “I” wouldn’t have them without God mercy blessing me with them.

Thanksgiving will be upon us shortly. There must be something we could all be thankful about. God made the sun, the moon and the stars. Sure some people can’t see, but they can hear all of the beautiful sounds around them, some are housebound, but they could pick up the phone and call someone, some may be out of work, but they have their health, some may not have their health but they may have a job, some may be old and not have their youth, some might have their youth and might be old, etc., etc., etc. The list could go on and on. What type of life would we have if we were animals instead of humans? Think about those poor cows sitting out there in the field, or the horse that has to carry that large load.

Through our trials and tribulations we might find it difficult to sift through the muddy water and praise God for the glorious fountain in front of us. We could dwell on all of the negative things in our life, or we could simply look around and praise God for all of the astonishing creations formed by His Almighty hands.

As we begin to praise and worship the Lord less of us and more of Him will be evident in our lives. It will allow us to take our minds off of ourselves the “I things” and view life through God’s eyes “God things”, as a vibrant picture instead of cloudy and blurred image we saw beforehand.

I am certain that if you look closely enough you will see sunshine on your rainy days.

As a Little Girl I Can Remember Hearing the Bing Crosby Song – Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep

When I'm worried and I can't sleep
I count my blessings instead of sheep
And I fall asleep counting my blessings
When my bankroll is getting small
I think of when I had none at all
And I fall asleep counting my blessings

I think about a nursery and I picture curly heads
And one by one I count them as they slumber in their beds
If you're worried and you can't sleep
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings

I think about a nursery and I picture curly heads
And one by one I count them as they slumber in their beds
If you're worried and you can't sleep
Just count your blessings instead of sheep
And you'll fall asleep counting your blessings

Mirriam-Webster’s on Line Dictionary

The definition of Thanksgiving:
1. The act of giving thanks
2. A prayer of expressing gratitude
3. A public acknowledgement or celebration of divine goodness

Thanksgiving Day – Mirriam-Webster’s on Line Dictionary

Thanksgiving Day:
A day of giving thanks for divine goodness; the fourth Thursday in November, observed as a legal holiday in the United States; the second Monday in October, observed as a legal holiday in Canada

Chris Tomlin - Song Lyrics – Here I Am To Worship

Light of the world,
You stepped down into darkness.
Opened my eyes,
let me see.
Beauty that made this heart adore you
Hope of a life spent with you

And here I am to worship,
here I am to bow down,
here I am to say that you're my God
You're altogether lovely,
altogether worthy,
altogether wonderful to me.

King of all days,
oh, so highly exalted.
Glorious in heaven above.
Humbly you came
to the earth you created
All for love's sake became poor.

And here I am to worship
Here I am to bow down
Here I am to say that you're my God
You're altogether lovely.
altogether worthy,
altogether wonderful to me.

I'll never know how much it cost
To see my sin upon that cross
I'll never know how much it cost
To see my sin upon that cross
And I'll never know how much it cost
To see my sin upon that cross
No, I'll never know how much it cost

Here I am to worship
Here I am to bow down
Here I am to say that you're my God
You're altogether lovely
Altogether worthy
Altogether wonderful to me

And here I am to worship
Here I am to bow down
Here I am to say that you're my god
You're altogether lovely
Altogether worthy
Altogether wonderful
wonderful wonderful
Yes you are God

I'll never know how much it cost
To see my sin upon that cross
I'll never know how much it cost
To see my sin upon that cross

As an intercessor in prayer today, I am going before the Lord on your behalf with praise and thanksgiving in my heart.

Dear Lord, precious Father, Almighty, I come to You today to offer my praise and adoration to You. You above all are the mighty One, You alone are Lord. Thank You so much dear God for Your mercy, kindness and love. Thanks for touching each life and for allowing them to feel Your presence around them. Thank You Lord for giving us a new day to be able to see all that You have before us. Thank you dear Jesus for giving Yourself as a sacrifice so that those who believe in You will find rest, peace and comfort in knowing that Your doing so has given them the freedom to live with You in eternity. I give You all praise and glory this day and forever, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment